Raleigh woman's garden became her husband's grave

Ruth Huber Bostic carefully tended to her flower garden every day, even though the rest of her home and property were in shambles.

Ruth Huber Bostic carefully tended to her flower garden every day, even though the rest of her home and property were in shambles.

Neighbors said she appeared to talk to herself while she cared for the hosta plants and violets. These seemed to be moments of tranquility for a troubled elderly woman whose husband departed long ago.

More than a year after she died at age 78, Bostic's daily flowerbed visits would lead police to suspect she was not alone in the garden after all: Underneath the ivy and bricks, detectives found David Ellis Bostic's remains.

When his wife passed away, Bostic had been dead for as many as 14 years and his whereabouts had long been a puzzle to friends and family who still wonder exactly what happened.

"It's a mystery. Things happen no one ever expects," said Carl Willis, David Ellis Bostic's 59-year-old nephew and closest living relative. Willis lives in Newport News, Va., and last spoke to his uncle in 1994.

Yet Ruth Bostic seems to have been even more estranged from her family, who declined requests for interviews through police investigating the case.

Authorities did learn that Ruth Bostic was born in upstate New York and turned over care of her daughter to the child's grandmother at an early age. They also found a history of mental illness.

"Her family hadn't talked with her in years and years," Raleigh police Detective J.D. Faulk said. "They said she left home early to do some traveling in Europe. Over time, her mental problems got worse and worse."

She also told tales: stories about working in Hilter's concentration camps and of her friendship with the czar of Russia. Neighbor Sandy Smith said the fantasies seemed to grow worse after David Ellis Bostic became sick in the mid-1990s: Ruth said he'd suffered a stroke, and Smith assumed he was in a nursing home.

Bostic's Raleigh neighbors recall her as an eccentric woman who didn't want anyone nosing around her house or yard. None knew she had family of her own.

"I thought she was just plain mean," said Marcus Larossi. "The only time I saw her was when she was fussing and cussing because somebody had walked in her yard or tried to knock on her door."

For years, Bostic's post-war bungalow was considered an eyesore, with peeling paint, trash strewn about and weeds growing all along the driveway. When neighbors asked her to mow the front lawn, she had a mound of concrete poured in the yard instead.

Bostick's mailman, Eddie Taylor, said he spoke with her occasionally and became familiar with her stories.

"She'd talk to me every now and then, but I think she had most people around here scared of her," Taylor said.

Willis said he only spoke to his uncle sporadically. The last time was at a 1994 Bostic family reunion in Rose Hill, N.C. That was also the occasion when Willis met Ruth.

"We talked and she said some things about the emperor of China," Willis recalled. "But Ellis just shook his head and smiled. It was obvious she cared for him and he cared for her."

A year or two later, Ruth called to tell Willis that her husband, born in 1912, was having health problems. Ruth said the couple was moving, possibly to New Jersey, where her sister worked in a nursing home.

Willis said he waited for a follow up call with details of the relocation.

As years went by, he began to lose hope. Once, on a business trip to Raleigh, he even he drove through his uncle's old neighborhood. The wood-frame house looked abandoned, and he didn't bother to stop.

Ruth Bostic died quietly in her living room in January 2010. She was discovered a month later after Taylor realized she was she was no longer checking her mailbox. Police said her death was from natural causes.

But within months, Raleigh police began to get inquiries about David Bostic's Social Security checks. Apparently they were being deposited into a joint account that was no longer active.

The case intrigued detectives, who spent months searching the house, digging through public records, questioning neighbors and contacting distant family members to find traces of the missing man. There were few results — no death certificate or any record of his marriage to Ruth Bostic.

"We found his voting record from 1996. That's the last time we can say he was alive," Detective Andy Murr said.

After hearing stories about Ruth Bostic's odd gardening habits, detectives began to dig in the couple's yard.

First they turned up the concrete slab out front, then moved to the back yard to the garden Ruth Bostic tended so lovingly.

Police say the autopsy revealed nothing suspicious about David Bostic's death.

Willis is left only with a list of questions.

"Why didn't she call on family if she needed help? Why did she bury him in the yard? Did she do it alone? I guess these are questions that will never be answered."

In Other News

fake money

Keywords clouds text link http://alonhatro.com

 máy sấy   thịt bò mỹ  thành lập doanh nghiệp
Visunhomegương trang trí  nội thất  cửa kính cường lực   lắp camera Song Phát thiết kế nhà 

Our PBN System:  thiết kế nhà xưởng thiết kế nội thất thiết kế nhà tem chống giả  https://thegioiapple.net/ https://24hstore.vn/

aviatorsgame.com ban nhạcconfirmationbiased.com 
mariankihogo.com  ốp lưngGiường ngủ triệu gia  Ku bet ku casino

https://maysayhaitan.com/  https://dovevn.com/ buy fake money https://sgnexpress.vn/ máy sấy buồn sấy lạnh

mặt nạ  mặt nạ ngủ  Mặt nạ môi mặt nạ bùn mặt nạ kem mặt nạ bột mặt nạ tẩy tế bào chết  mặt nạ đất sét mặt nạ giấy mặt nạ dưỡng mặt nạ đắp mặt  mặt nạ trị mụn
mặt nạ tế bào gốc mặt nạ trị nám tem chống giả

https://galaxymedia.vn/  công ty tổ chức sự kiện tổ chức sự kiện
Ku bet ku casino
Sâm tươi hàn quốc trần thạch cao trần thạch cao đẹp

suất ăn công nghiệpcung cấp suất ăn công nghiệp


© 2020 US News. All Rights Reserved.